Children's Advocacy Center

More than 70% of our clients at Day One are children. Addressing the ever-present issue of childhood sexual abuse and the burgeoning problem of the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC), Day One offers a child-centered environment to help abused children heal. How can we help stop child sexual abuse before it starts? Our Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC), with locations around the state, is the only one of its kind in Rhode Island and is accredited by the National Children’s Alliance (NCA).

Nathan's story

View our CAC PSA played in movie theaters during National Crime Victims' Rights Week!

What is a CAC?

Video: What is the CAC?

Video: CAC Frequently Asked Questions

Video: What is a MDT?

Day One - Children's Advocacy CenterThe CAC creates a team of professionals who serve to protect and heal a child who has endured trauma. It brings the agency professionals involved in a case together right from the initial disclosure of physical or sexual abuse or exploitation. The needs of the child victim and their non-offending family members come before all else. Under this model, the child comes to a child-friendly environment and meets with a trained interviewer while the other team members observe from another room via a video screen.

The child is informed of the equipment and of the observing team, and is never forced to answer any questions. The CAC model results in less trauma and re-victimization for the child, efficient teamwork and successful collaborations. The CAC provides follow up services for the child and non-offending caregivers up to a year.

CAC locations: (4 throughout the state)

  • Day One, 100 Medway, Providence, RI
  • The Kent Center, 2756 Post Rd, Warwick, RI 02886
  • Child and Family Services, 31 John Clarke Rd, Middletown, RI 02842
  • Women and Infants Suite, South County commons, 49 South County Commons Way, South Kingstown, RI

How to Make a CAC Referral

Anyone can call the RI CAC with questions about referring a victim. Our protocol is for DCYF and/or law enforcement to send over their report. Call 421-4100 x119 to reach the CAC.

Some helpful resources include: